Monday, March 3, 2008

FAQs

The flip was a big hit on the Restore Omaha tour yesterday. What a great way to be showered with praise by others who love old homes.

More than 70 people came by -- not bad considering what a miserably windy day it was.

The surprise for me: People were absolutely nutballs over the kitchen. I mean, I think it's nice, but I heard people gasp, gush, ooh and ahh. Awesome.

The questions I got most often:



Is the bathroom floor original?

No.

I don't remember where I got the idea, but I remember paying attention to bathroom flooring in Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and Rejuvenation catalogs and This Old House magazine for ideas.

My co-worker, Brenda, said one reason it looks original is that the tile edges are squared. New tile tends to have a graduated edge.

I found the tile on sale online. Blair from Howling Dog Construction installed it.

For more on the bathroom floor, see previous posts:

Tile that makes you smile
Renovation story problems for links to online tile stores

Who refinished the yellow pine floors?

Rains Wood Floors. See Contractors I like.


Is the master bedroom wainscoting original?

No.

I wanted to do something a little different than the standard beadboard. Again, I found pics in Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware catalogs. I showed them to Blair, and he went from there.

These pictures don't adequately show his detailed carpentry work. The wainscoting molding coordinates with the original window molding and serves as a picture rail (they are also wide enough to set a beer on. A little Woodchuck cider makes the painting go faster. :).

What's left to do?

Paint the basement and small items such as finish painting closets, install doorbell, install fire alarms, etc. I hope to be done in two weeks.

How much are you asking?

$118,000.

Three visitors said it's a steal at that price, but hopefully, that's a sign that it will sell easily.

No comments: