Friday, February 29, 2008

Ups and downs

Friday afternoon was a roller coaster in the last big push before Sunday's Restore Omaha tour.

Down: My final pile of scrap metal was still there, a day after Scrap Metal Bob offered to pick it up.

Up: Bob, a gnarly old guy who's sweeter than he looks, came wheeling around the corner an hour later in his pickup. He complimented the work on the house (he's fixed up a few himself) and gave me a reference for a real estate agent. "Tell him Bob said to only charge you 4 percent," he grumbled.

Down: Hmm, why is the grout behind the toilet darker than the rest? Huh, it's wet. Oh, crap, the toilet is leaking.

Up: The leak is an easy fix (rusted tank bolts, for those who care) that Blair said he'd do.



Up: Blair from Howling Dog Construction finished installing the porch railings.

I continued through a list of detail work: install house numbers and mailbox, tighten woodwork over window, caulk, more caulk, paint some more, etc., as I waited for the last contractor, the electrician. I needed two ceiling fans installed upstairs and several small light fixtures.

I have been stood up, ignored and abused by a series of electricians on this project.

By 1:30, I was nervous that they wouldn't show. My anxiety grew all afternoon.

At 4:30 p.m., J.D. from David's Electric called apologizing that his last job took longer than expected. He asked to come Monday.

Monday?!?

He offered a reduced rate. I explained it was more about timing than money. I'm on a home tour this weekend, I explained. Is there any way? Please?

J.D. caved, warning I'd have to pay time and a half and it'd take a couple of hours. He called in a second electrician to help. I said, thankyouthankyouthankyou.

They showed up a little after 5 p.m. and had everything done by 6:30.




J.D. later confided that he took the late gig because I had a pleasant voice (who knew?).

In the end, he only charged me for an hour at the regular rate, asking me to keep them in mind for future work. Woooo-hoooooo!


David's Electric rocks! (402) 553-1565

No comments: